- Kid Safe YouTube App News from Enough is Enough
Hello hello hello parents and caretakers!!!
I know it has been a long while since I last posted since I went back to graduate school. Lots of late nights studying after the minis go to bed. Anyway, I just opened up my inbox and email from Enough is Enough. I count on Donna Rice Hughes and her organization to keep me informed on the latest in internet safety for families. The have extensive internet safety data at internetsafety101.org
Their latest is that we have good news from Google. We parents and caretakers now have a safer option for our children who enjoy the rich free video content available on YouTube. As a homeschooler, I love to show my kids educational videos on the topics that come up. I have been often frustrated by the slimy content that has popped up at the same time.
Have you? Yuck!
Well now there is an option for us caregivers available for free on Google Play or the App Store to filter what their children are exposed to and better yet, set parenting controls.
Enough is enough shared a few tips from Google on their YouTube new parental controls from the Google Blog… go there for details:
… Now, parents can rest a little easier knowing that videos in the YouTube Kids app are narrowed down to content appropriate for kids, You can browse channels and playlists in four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore.”
We realize every family is different, so we’ve built options into the app that help you control the experience for your kids:
- Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids’ screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don’t have to. (You’re welcome ;-))
- Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while you catch a breather.
- Search settings: If you’d rather limit your children to just the pre-selected videos available on the home screen, you can turn off search.
- Product feedback: Our goal is to improve YouTube Kids all the time, so we’ve included for you to give us your feedback.
I am not sure how you feel about YouTube for your children. I know a lot of parents who do not trust the website. Now, they have a new opportunity to reevaluate YouTube. I for one am grateful…
So we can look up more cool educational facts.
Like “How does an astronaut eat and go potty mom?”
Enjoy & Blessings,
What do you think about the new YouTube app?